Orbs & Rarity Drops
We have an awesome scripter by the name of /u/t2k5 – he created a website with a ton of utility mods. Right now we’ll be looking at the Orb Stat Tracker
Here you can view the community drop-rate for each expansion.
The special thing to note here is that Duelyst has a bonus droprate for the CORE set cards. Core Orbs typically drop Legendaries about 1 in every 4 packs (expansions drop 1 in every 5-6ish).
Note: Because of the frequency of the legendary drops, we believe there is no pity timer to drops. Also note that a full playset of cards is 3x unlike games in Hearthstone, so the frequency of their drops is offset by wanting multiple copies if you desire to play them consistently.
As a new player, focus on getting a strong foundation of Core cards. Not only will this create a testbed for all the factions, but you’re likely to get more high-rarity cards that you can disenchant for Spirit*
*Spirit – a virtual currency you can exchange for literally anything that isn’t a orb/pack. This includes crafting a card you want
Disenchanting and managing your collection
Duelyst Enchant/Disenchant rates are fair, with realistic crafting costs and modest disenchant rates (these are stellar compared to other games such as Hearthstone)
The rates are as follows
- Common – 40 Craft / 10 Disenchant
- Rare – 100 Craft / 20 Disenchant
- Epic – 350 Craft / 100 Disenchant
- Legendary – 900 Craft / 350 Disenchant
This game has “Prismatics” (their version of Golden/Foiled cards) which offer higher crafting/disenchanting values. It should be noted that the visual effect on these cards are very trivial (it’s basically a rainbow aura behind your minions) so feel free to DE these for the extra spirit.
While I don’t have a DE/Crafting guide on hand, it’s worth noting that in this game having a full playset of a card (3x copies) is often vastly superior to a single card. For that reason, many players often recommend crafting 3x of a Faction Epic than a single Legendary. Almost every Faction has a powerful Epic you should persue straight out of the Core set, making those the most valueable Spirit investment you can make.
Note: Almost since beta, the majority of competitive decks have sat around the 5k Spirit mark, meaning no matter when you would have started your career, catching up to have a viable deck has been the same cost. 5k Spirit is not an outlandish goal, this is something daily casual players could strive for within a month of play.
When you click Play, there are several plates for game modes (Practice, Ladder, Gauntlet, etc). One of those is “Solo Challenges” – here you’ll find SIX different challenge gates. Each of these are One-Turn-Kill puzzles that not only serve as an extended tutorial (and show off some game interactions), but each gate offers around 35gold.
Complete all 6 and you basically get 2 free Orbs.
There are several quests in the world of Duelyst, and they all push the game to be a true F2P experience.
For starters, read up on the secret achievements in the game – complete these at your own pace.
Next, we’ll cover the daily quests.
There are 4-5 items that will recycle every day (I believe at midnight UTC?).
- First Win of the Day – This quest is not actually listed, but resets every 22 hours since the last time you got it. This quest rewards you with 20gSpecial thanks to /u/phyvocawcaw for pointing this out, I forgot about it since it wasn’t in the UI
- Free Card of the Day – Click on this to get a free Common card (from any expansion?). Do this until you have a solid collection, or if you need Spirit. It’s free, just do it.
- Short/Faction Quest – This is a Faction quest that requires you to play 4 games (just play, not win) to earn 20g.
- Long Quest – I’ve seen a variety of quests that typically require you play about 8 games (deal damage to Generals, kill minions, etc) but this quest rewards you with 50g.
- Welcome Back – This is a “stacking” quest that helps those who aren’t frequent players. I believe this quest goes up to 25g for every quest you failed to complete before the quest reset. Aim never to have this on your screen, but this is a nice breather for those of us with work/family responsibilites.
It should be noted that you also get 15g every 3 wins you get on Ladder. In other words, if you get THREE wins (15g + FWOTD 20g) you do both your Short/Long quests each day (20g+50g), you should have enough gold to buy a pack everyday. (You would have earned 105g and all packs cost 100g)
Note: That’s 3k gold a month, 30 orbs/packs, just for finishing your quests with 3 wins a day. Games don’t take that long; if you want to grow your collection, play the game!
- Sometimes (typically once per expansion) the Duelyst devs will throw out a “Monthly Quest” that requires you to complete 15 Quests. Doing this gives you a free Cosmetic Crate Key – note that all crates (except boss crates) are really bad return of investment for deckbuilding, they’re literally cosmetic boxes.
- There’s also the “Boss” quest; every week (starting on Thursday, ending on Tuesday) there’s a Boss Battle featured on the homescreen. Beat this boss to basically get 100g (they straight up give you a free orb) and they also unlock the best sale in the game, the Boss Crate.Boss Crates are the only “P2W” aspect of Duelyst, if you want to call it that. They offer other bundles in their store as well, but none of these are necessary to be good at Duelyst.
End-of-Month Ladder Rewards
Alright hotshots, you aren’t climbing to Diamond or S-Rank in your month (this game, after all, is based on skill, and you’re but a fledgling). Do your best, and now to learn something about our Ranked Ladder.
Our ladder has a few divisions; starting you off at Bronze (30) all the way to S-Rank (0) where you’re going to get rather intimate with the rest of our community. Take a deep breath, you may find people with a ton of ribbons (a ribbon is a reward for winning 100 games with a given faction) but remember that ribbons are just a representation of age, not skill.
The Ranked Ladder has several rewards based on where you landed by the end of the month (end of the month is the daily reset on the last day of the month, once again I think it’s midnight UTC).
- Highest Achieved Rank 20 (Silver) Loot Crate Reward:1x Epic + Spirit + Gold
- Highest Achieved Rank 10 (Gold) Loot Crate Reward:1x Legendary + 1x Epic + Spirit + Gold
- Highest Achieved Rank 5 (Diamond) Loot Crate Reward:1x Rare + 1x Legendary + 1x Epic + Spirit + Gold
- Highest Achieved Rank 0 (S-Rank) Loot Crate Reward:1 x Common + 2x Legendary + 1x Rare + 1x Epic + Spirit + Gold
For example, a player whose HIGHEST achieved rank from last season was Rank 10 will receive 1 copy of a Legendary card, 1 copy of an Epic card, 135 Spirit, and 110 Gold (Values are approximated).
Note: You cannot drop below your division/league in Bronze, Silver, Gold, Diamond or S-Rank until the month resets. These are safety floors for you to test/experiement with decks.
(Could really use the help of /u/hsuku or /u/sylvermyst here – and new guys make sure to check out their channels, Hsuku and Sylvermyst are super new-player friendly and Gauntlet experts).
I don’t know much about the Gauntlet reward tables outside of these three breakpoints
- You break even on Gold-To-Rewards around 3 wins in our “arena/draft” mode.Note: This may not be true (or a misconception), /u/TehSuckerer makes mention of it here. Still waiting on more information!
- At 7 wins, you’ll have a guaranteed Gauntlet Ticket, making it so your entry was free (and therefore you can play this mode infinitely).
- At 12 wins, you’re prize pool will now include a random Cosmetic Crate Key
Going infinite here is the best place to grind for gold/packs/spirit/cards. You’re on an ‘even’ playing field (since the decks are not constructed, but built from 1-of-3 choices) meaning your skill and decision making are king.
Link your account, watch twitch for ~30 minutes once every two days, get more free stuff.
As far as we’ve been able to document, you can earn the following
- Gold (various amounts)
- Spirit (various amounts)
- Profile Icons
- Cosmetic Keys (1 key from either Common, Rare or Epic quality)
- Orbs (quantity range from 1, 2 or 3, from Core or the latest expansion?)
Check out some Duelyst Streams and talk to us; most streamers are educational streamers and their chats are always happy to teach new players whatever they can =]
This subreddit is ran by volunteers and is free from developer moderation – as such we’re allowed our freedom of speech (within reason) but it isn’t the Duelyst Dev’s “home.”
If you visit the forums (linked above) you can find they host a variety of odd events such a MSPaint Contests, Art Contests, Naming Contests, Lore Contests and other treats. Those events usually have orbs and/or keys attached to them, so jump on them for more free stuff.